**NEW DATE***Homebrew Day at Transplants 03/23/19!!!

Tell us what tasty beverage to be expecting soon from your home brewery
Lightguy
Grand PuBa
Name: Travis

**NEW DATE***Homebrew Day at Transplants 03/23/19!!!

Post by Lightguy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:52 pm

We are changing the date for the Homebrew Demonstration at Transplants to the 23rd of March and we will shoot for noon!!

I can bring (2) 15g Kettles to boil in and I believe we will have a 30g converted Cooler Mash Tun... I should have a couple 7g Fermentors as well but if anyone has extras I think more will be better.

We are still trying to lock down a style I believe so please throw up ideas if you have them... Steve’s winning IPA from last meeting perhaps??

If we can try and have everything finalized for recipe by the 16th we can work on purchasing all we need from Dylan the following week to brew!!

Happy Brewing!!

T

PatRay
Grand PuBa

Re: **NEW DATE***Homebrew Day at Transplants 03/23/19!!!

Post by PatRay » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:59 am

Can someone (Dylan) post the recipe?

DylanD
Grand PuBa

Post by DylanD » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:54 pm

PatRay wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:59 am
Can someone (Dylan) post the recipe?
You mean Steve's recipe? I was not party to it's inception. I did overhear that Palisade was involved in that beer, though- a hop which I do not have quick access to (Willamette/Amarillo blend comes close). If the recipe needs scaling or tweaking for different equipment, I'm happy to help. Same goes for incidentals needed for the brew day- I'm at your disposal.

BEAVR Nutz was also mentioned as a candidate for the brew day. Was it resolved who is brewing that for fest?

Lightguy
Grand PuBa

Post by Lightguy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:49 pm

I’m not opposed to doing the BEAVR Nutz cause we could always brew extra for Fest if we needed to.. who has the recipe?

DylanD
Grand PuBa

Post by DylanD » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:45 pm

BEAVR NUTZ

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 12.00 Wort Size (Gal): 12.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 37.75
Anticipated OG: 1.076 Plato: 18.48
Anticipated SRM: 51.7
Anticipated IBU: 45.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 14.12 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.065 SG 15.86 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
72.8 27.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
9.3 3.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
5.3 2.00 lbs. Flaked Oats America 1.033 2
2.6 1.00 lbs. KilnCoffee Malt France 1.031 170
4.6 1.75 lbs. Crystal 120L America 1.033 120
2.6 1.00 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
2.6 1.00 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.028 450

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.00 oz. Chinook Pellet 11.60 42.1 60 min.
1.00 oz. Willamette Pellet 5.00 3.1 20 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale

Typically 1LB PB2 and 8 oz-1LB Cacao Nibs in secondary per 5 G, 2 weeks contact time

PatRay
Grand PuBa

Post by PatRay » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:58 am

I guess we need to figure out how much we are brewing and were we going to brew, I'll throw out a few items for decision and/or discussion with my suggestions, which I would fully expect to be summarily dismissed :D

How much to brew?
~5 gallons to fest and another 15.5 to fill a keg; figure we try to brew ~21 gallons (finished)

Will the 30G mash tun handle it? Can we presume 70% efficiency with it?
This website says we can do it https://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml but it will be at the top, I used 75lbs as an estimate

Will Transplants be able to supply us hot water and can we bucket brigade it to where we need it (and not burn ourselves) or do we look at having a HLT or two, next to us.

Did we want to use gravity or pumps to transfer? What's are setup going to be. Do we want to try and use Transplants equipment or keep it "old skool" ... ?

How to brew?
2 x ~10.5 gallon batches (15 gallon brew kettles)

How to ferment?
1 x carboy (5 gallons), 1 x 22 gallon Brewhemoth (remaining 15); leave it at Transplants and hope we have good temps. I can bring the aquarium chiller I use for the Brewhemoth, but it's more stuff to manage.

Yeast Starters?
Can we get a pitch of WLP007 from any of the local breweries? Otherwise we'll need to factor in starters. I do have a 5000ml flask and could do one for the 15 gallon batch, Steve Cotta has one too, maybe he'll do it :) I have't looked at the charts yet. Maybe Dylan can just handle all the yeast wrangling??

What can Dylan get and what do we (Street ;) ) need to go buy?
PB2? Sams?
CocoNibs?

Can we use propane inside Transplants?

Presuming we will have access to "good" water at Transplants, do we want to consider any water adjustments?

Lightguy
Grand PuBa

Post by Lightguy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:21 pm

I agree and think we should do the 21.5g for the batch size but put them all into 5g kegs and take the 1 for fest... they have 5g pin lock kegs we can borrow.

I am assuming we should be able to do it in the 30g mash tun but Street might be able to better answer that question but from the looks of the recipe it will definitely be at the top!!! If we can get 65%-70% efficiency I’d be happy.

We will be able to bucket brigade from their hose and I will ask if we can pull from their HLT but I think if anything having at least two HLT’s by our side would be best.

For Transfer I’m not sure we could place the mash tun on top of one of the wood tables, which I would assume would hold that, and use gravity or I have a chugger pump I can bring if anything.. and I think old Skool Homebrew is the way we should keep it to show off the hobby and hopefully peak some interests for future members..

I can bring my 2 -15g kettles for boil and I think we could pull another if needed which might not be a bad idea to just have on standby.

Yeah I was thinking 5g Carboys but is this brewhemoth you speak of portable? If we can confirm they have the room for us to have that there for a short time I think a single vessel would better our chances of making a great beer IMO so if that is an option and they will allow it I’d say let’s shoot for that. I will try and confirm with Matt and Sarah and get back to you.

For Yeast I am not sure Transplants is pithching 007 but we can try and reach out to another brewery if possible cause if not I agree we will need at least 2- 5000ml starters.. Steve you down? Lol

We should definitely buy everything from Dylan.. Dylan is it possible to work up a total dollar amount on what we would need to do 21.5g of the Beavr Nutz?? Include the yeast we would need for 2 5000ml starters just so we know please.. cause we will need to pull from Beavr account on this one while I square away what we got of the BEAVR A’ L’Orange which was only about 3.5g but lasted only hours apparently so we should have something coming back to the club from that one..

I will fill my propane tanks so I can bring 2 burners and 2 propane tanks

For water I will have to confirm what water they will have us pulling from and if it is the R/O but I am open to minerals.. gypsum and lactic to get our ph? I know they have gypsum we could borrow I’m sure.

I think I got everything lol and I will check on the few things and post back

T

Lightguy
Grand PuBa

Post by Lightguy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:25 pm

Oh and we will be brewing by the roll up door just inside and against the wall.. forgot that one.

T

Street
Grand PuBa

Post by Street » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:14 pm

Unfortunately I won't be in town that day. I do have the mash tun which I'm pretty sure is more like 37 gallons. I dug up some pics from when we did the same thing years back. I'm thinking we brewed more like 25 gallons. The mash tun was to the brim but she took it. #mattsmom

I also have a second cooler of the same size that you'll want to use as a mixing vessel since you will need to split the wort into 3 different kettles. I've of course got the cash for whatever ingredients. I can pay Dylan the next time I see him. I would take whatever free American/British yeast you can get from a brewery. You'll need a lot of yeast to ferment 22 gallon of this and not worth being picky.

I've got two metal fermenters that are both in the 7 gallon range you're welcome to use. Sounds like you got burners and kettles squared away but I've got anything else you might need, including a big wort chiller. Just let me know.

(\/) (°,,,°) (\/)

DylanD
Grand PuBa

Post by DylanD » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:14 am

I'm in agreement with Street- given the volume of beer involved, it would be far superior to ask Transplants pretty please if they'd share some slurry from a freshly fermented batch. Given that temp control doesn't look like an option, I'd favor WLP001 or similar, as it tends not to quit with small temp drops like English strains can. Once I know how the wort will be split up, I'd be happy to list slurry volumes for pitching. This will also allow me to pre-weigh and package the hop additions.

This beer is pretty tolerant to a wide range of water profiles. Filtered Palmdale Municipal should be fine without amendments. If we'd like to tune it anyway, all I need is a water report. If RO is the source, we'll have to make some adjustments. Just let me know.

I'll get the necessary Cacao Nibs ordered, but I'd grab PB2 elsewhere. Rousing these ingredients during their contact time greatly improves extraction.

All I need now is a finalized batch size and how it will be split for boil and fermentation (batch size is end of boil volume in the kettle{S}). Once I've got that, I can scale the recipe for batch size and 68% estimated mash efficiency and present a total to Street (be sure to get reimbursed for your propane, too). I'll also pull the ingredients and have them milled and ready for pickup. Remember that multiple boil kettles will increase waste % in trub left behind and wort lost in transfers. 24 Gallons at end of boil should get it done if your target is 20-21 gallons finished beer.

I'm going to try to be there, but I won't likely be able to stay there for the duration. Thanks to all for your hard work in spreading the gospel :D